Every home buyer has their own list of “must-haves.” There’s no way to predict what a buyer will want, but you can make your home stand out from the crowd with the right home improvements. Whether you’re planning on selling now or later (or even if you’re a buyer with future resale value in mind), one way to set your home apart is by investing in home automation technology. The Battle Real Estate Team wants to help, and we’ve put together the following guide.
What Is Smart Home Technology?
First of all, what do we mean by smart home technology? According to Techopedia, smart home technology, also called home automation, “uses a combination of hardware and software technologies that enable control and management over appliances and devices within a home.” These are just a few of the many ways you can make your home “smarter”:
- Electrical systems: You can automate your home’s energy and electrical systems with smart thermostats, smart light bulbs, and smart light switches.
- Smart appliances: You can upgrade just about any appliance in your home to an automated version, including refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, toilets, and showers.
- Security systems: Smart home security upgrades can include sensors, video surveillance systems, outdoor motion-sensing lights, and even video doorbells. Adding smart security system technology to your home will let you relax, knowing you and your family are safe.
- Medical assistance: Smart devices can help with medical and safety concerns, which is especially helpful for older adults living alone. These medical devices can include medication reminders and sensors that monitor movement in the house.
- Everyday conveniences: When we hear the term smart home, many of us first think of digital assistants like Alexa from Amazon and Siri from Apple. These can be used to make simple everyday tasks easier by having your assistant control things in your home.
With smart home technology encompassing such a broad range of options, figuring out how to get started can often be overwhelming. One common mistake is to add a few smart devices here and there, rather than planning out a unified system. When you jump into the home automation world without a solid plan, you may end up with devices that don’t work together or that don’t work the way you intended.
To avoid this mistake, it helps to consult with a professional to go over your needs and goals. Find an electrician near you who can walk you through this process and install smart home improvements. Hiring this type of help will ensure you get an integrated system designed for you. For example, if you install a security system, a pro will make sure interior and exterior cameras and locking systems all work together and that your data remains secured and protected.
Make the Most of Tech Benefits
The benefits of smart home technology are just as numerous as the options available. When thinking about what to invest in, consider which options deliver the most bang for your buck. Some people think that smart home tech is just for those who are younger, but seniors can benefit from it just as much. Many adults are choosing to age in place these days, and smart homes allow them to stay self-sufficient and safe in their homes longer. This is why it pays to think about the diverse benefits of smart tech for any potential buyer.
Many home buyers are drawn to smart upgrades that help them save money. For example, smart thermostats and lighting reduce energy use so you save on utility bills. Devices that improve safety and security are also in high demand. According to Consumer Reports, two smart home upgrades that deliver big returns on your investment are smart smoke detectors and video doorbells because they are relatively inexpensive and they really wow buyers.
With the increased popularity of smart home improvements, the good news is that there are options for every budget. You can start small or go big — either way, buyers will be sure to notice. You can be confident that home automation is a smart upgrade that is here to stay.
When the time comes to sell your home, you want an expert real estate agent by your side. Reach out to the Battle Real Estate Team today to connect with one of our dedicated professionals.